For You,Because it has been asked, So this is who stands behind the mirror!!!
Behind the Mirror is a beauty blog for women (and sometimes men.) Women by nature are nurturers. We spend a whole lot of time taking care of others and putting other people first. The idea of Behind the Mirror is to look behind the mirror in the medicine cabinet, grab a bottle of lotion and spend 15 minutes to do something for you. I try to put up a lot of home remedies as beauty treatments because not everyone can go to the spa or buy the latest products out there. I strongly believe to take care of all the things we, as women, need to take care of; we have to take care of ourselves!
I am Amanda. I am a southerner turned New Yorker by way of Alphabet City 10 years ago. I plan Marc Jacobs retail business by day and plan all things stripes or leopard, face masks, pumps, hair care, and bohemian+chic by night… But most importantly, I am a big believer in the power of women!
No pets, No husband, No kids… It is me, my very handsome boyfriend, and lots of amazing friends who work hard to find these home remedies, spa treatments, and products to help us feel beautiful. Behind the Mirror was inspired after one of my best friends told me following the birth of her daughter she hadn’t applied lotion to herself in over 7 months because she simply didn’t have time. This is why for the first year of the blog each post had a “For.” Each post is for you, for my friends, for life moments, for women, mothers, daughters, sisters, and sometimes the boys.
Everyone is different. Maybe all the time you have is clicking on a link to order yourself something you will never have time to use… but having it in the bathroom behind your mirror makes you feel good. Maybe you have time to go to the spa but not research what treatment is going to work best… Or maybe the best you can muster is to apply some anti-wrinkle cream on your forehead at night when the day finally draws to an end.
I love to write this blog. I love to put up the simple DIY beauty routines, spa finds, and products because one of these posts might give a woman 15 minutes to herself to feel beautiful in a world that often makes it very difficult. I also love the emails, comments, and likes because it creates a sense of community.
With all that out of the way… Here is 10 things you probably didn’t know about me!
1. I am a hoarder of all things publication. Magazines, books, newspapers, you name it – I buy it, read it, and never get rid of it.
2. I am allergic to carpet. For the first 3 years of my life I had hives up to my knees. In fact, it wasn’t until my parents ripped out the carpet that the hives went away. I still have the scars on my calves.
4. I try to go to yoga once a week. I have been doing this for years. I am terrible. It is embarrassing.
5. My favorite fashion designer is Amiram Assouline. If you don’t know him you should! He is the mastermind behind Catherine Malandrino.
6. I don’t always listen to my own advice. For example, I spray perfume on one wrist and then rub it to the other one. I know this is wrong, I tell people it is wrong, I’ve tried to stop, I can’t.
7. As a child I competitively rode horses. My favorite pony was Fiesta Nic Nac. We called her Niki.
8. Sometimes in the morning before work I cut my own hair, for no reason really.
9. I currently can’t stop listening to Hot Chip. I know I missed the boat but I am cool with that…
10. I love to travel. If I didn’t write a beauty blog, I would write a travel blog. My very sweet boyfriend does everything in his power to make sure I get to see the world.
Please feel free to contact me (Amanda) at
Your turn! Who are you?
***beauty always comes from within, photos from me because it is me, xoxo, behind the mirror***